Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-013
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (837009)
Issued: April 13, 2004
Who should read this document: Customers who have Microsoft Outlook Express installed
Impact of vulnerability: Remote Code Execution
Maximum Severity Rating: Critical
Recommendation: Customers should apply the update immediately.
Security Update Replacement: This bulletin replaces MS03-014: Cumulative Update for Outlook Express, and any prior Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express.
Tested Software and Security Update Download Locations:
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Service Pack 6a
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition Service Pack 6
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) Review the FAQ section of this bulletin for details about these operating systems.
Tested Microsoft Windows Components:
- Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5 SP2: Download the Update
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6: Download the Update
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6 SP1: Download the Update
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6 SP1 (64 bit Edition): Download the Update
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6 on Windows Server 2003: Download the Update
- Microsoft Outlook Express 6 on Windows Server 2003 (64 bit edition): Download the Update
The software that is listed above has been tested to determine if the versions are affected. Other versions either no longer include security update support or may not be affected. To determine the support lifecycle for your product and version, visit the following Microsoft Support Lifecycle Web site.
Obtaining other security updates:
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from the Microsoft Download Center: you can find them most easily by doing a keyword search for 'security_patch'.
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from the Windows Update Web site.
- Customers in the U.S. and Canada can get technical support from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support associated with security updates. For more information on how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Software Update Services
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
- Windows Update
- Windows Update Catalog: For more information about the Windows Update Catalog, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 323166.
- Office Update
Software Update Services (SUS):
Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS) enables administrators to quickly and reliably deploy the latest critical updates and security updates to Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003-based servers, as well as to desktop systems running Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional.
For information about how to deploy this security update with Software Update Services, visit the Software Update Services Web site.
Systems Management Server (SMS):
Systems Management Server can provide assistance deploying this security update. For information about Systems Management Server visit the SMS Web Site. For detailed information about the many enhancements to the security update deployment process that SMS 2003 provides, please visit the SMS 2003 Security Patch Management Web site. For users of SMS 2.0, it also provides several additional tools to assist administrators in the deployment of security updates such as the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack. The SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack utilizes the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and the Microsoft Office Detection Tool to provide broad support for security bulletin remediation. Some software updates may require administrative rights following a restart of the computer
The inventory capabilities of the SMS 2.0 Software Update Services Feature Pack may be used for targeting updates to specific computers, and the SMS 2.0 Administration Feature Pack's Elevated Rights Deployment Tool can be used for installation. This provides optimal deployment for updates that require explicit targeting using Systems Management Server and administrative rights after the computer has been restarted.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 April 13, 2004: Bulletin published