Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 2005
Issued: August 9, 2005
Version Number: 1.0
An end-user version of this information is available by visiting the following Web site.
Protect Your PC: Microsoft has provided information about how you can help protect your PC at the following locations:
- End-users can visit the Protect Your PC Web site.
- IT Professionals can visit the Security Guidance Center Web site.
Update Management Strategies: The Patch Management, Security Updates, and Downloads Web site provides additional information about Microsoft’s best practices recommendations for applying security updates.
IT Pro Security Zone Community: Learn to improve security and optimize your IT infrastructure, and participate with other IT Pros on security topics in the IT Pro Security Zone Web site.
Microsoft Security Notification Service: To receive automatic e-mail notifications whenever Microsoft security bulletins are issued, subscribe to the Microsoft Security Notification Service.
Included in this advisory are updates for newly discovered vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities, broken down by severity are:
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to help protect customers:
- Bernhard Mueller and Martin Eiszner of SEC Consult for reporting an issue described in MS05-038.
- The NSFOCUS Security Team for reporting an issue described in MS05-038.
- Neel Mehta of ISS X-Force for reporting an issue described in MS05-039.
- Jean-Baptiste Marchand of Herve Schauer Consultants for working with us on MS05-039.
- Kostya Kortchinsky from CERT RENATER for reporting an issue described in MS05-040 and MS05-043.
- Tom Ferris of Security Protocols for reporting an issue described in MS05-041.
- Tony Chin and Geert Jansen of Shell, Inc. for reporting an issue described in MS05-042.
- Andre Scedrov and his team; Iliano Cervesato, Aaron Jaggard , Joe-Kai Tsay , and Chris Walstad, for reporting an issue described in MS05-042.
- Obtaining Other Security Updates:
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from the Microsoft Download Center. You can find them most easily by doing a keyword search for "security_patch".
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from the Windows Update Web site.
- Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Software Update Services
- Microsoft Windows Server Update Services
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
- Windows Update
- Microsoft Update
- Windows Update Catalog: For more information about the Windows Update Catalog, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 323166.
- Office Update
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (August 9, 2005): Bulletin published