Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 2006
Published: | Updated:
An end-user version of this information is available by visiting the following Web site.
Protect Your PC: Microsoft has provided information about how you can help protect your PC at the following locations:
- End-users can visit the Protect Your PC Web site.
- IT Professionals can visit the Security Guidance Center Web site.
Update Management Strategies: The Patch Management, Security Updates, and Downloads Web site provides additional information about Microsoft’s best practices recommendations for applying security updates.
IT Pro Security Zone Community: Learn to improve security and optimize your IT infrastructure, and participate with other IT Pros on security topics in the IT Pro Security Zone Web site.
Microsoft Security Notification Service: To receive automatic e-mail notifications whenever Microsoft security bulletins are issued, subscribe to the Microsoft Security Notification Service.
Included in this advisory are updates for newly discovered vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities, broken down by severity are:
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to help protect customers:
- Pedram Amini of the TippingPoint Security Research Team, for reporting an issue described in MS06-050.
- Reed Arvin for reporting an issue described in MS06-051.
- Will Dormann of CERT/CC for reporting an issue described in MS06-042.
- Steve Tai of CSC Australia Pty Limited for reporting an issue described in MS06-050.
- Dejun of the Fortinet Security Response Team for reporting an issue described in MS06-048.
- Tom Gilder for reporting an issue described in MS06-044.
- Shih-hao Weng of Information & Communication Security Technology Center for reporting an issue described in MS06-048.
- Mark Dowd of ISS X-Force for reporting an issue described in MS06-041.
- Yorick Koster of ITsec Security Services for reporting an issue described in MS06-044.
- Matt Miller and Ken Johnson of Leviathan Security Group for reporting an issue described in MS06-051.
- H D Moore for reporting an issue described in MS06-044.
- SoWhat of Nevis Labs for reporting an issue described in MS06-048.
- Peter Winter Smith of NGS Software for reporting an issue described in MS06-041.
- SANS for working with us on an issue described in MS06-040.
- Elia Florio of Symantec for reporting an issue described in MS06-048.
- Ka Chun Leung of Symantec for reporting an issue described in MS06-047.
- Sam Thomas, working with TippingPoint and the Zero Day Initiative, for reporting two issues described in MS06-042.
- Cody Pierce of the Tipping Point Security Research Team for reporting an issue described in MS06-042 and working with us on an issue described in MS06-046.
- eEye Digital Security for reporting an issue described in MS06-042.
- US-CERT for working with us on an issue described in MS06-040.
Obtaining Other Security Updates:
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from the Microsoft Download Center. You can find them most easily by doing a keyword search for "security_patch".
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from the Microsoft Update Web site.
- You can obtain the security updates offered on Windows Update this month in the Security and Critical Releases ISO Image, for more information see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 913086.
- Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
- Microsoft Software Update Services
- Microsoft Windows Server Update Services
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
- Windows Update
- Microsoft Update
- Windows Update Catalog: For more information about the Windows Update Catalog, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 323166.
- Office Update
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (August 8, 2006): Bulletin published.
- V1.1 (September 12, 2006): Bulletin updated MS06-042 download locations under the “Affected Software and Download Locations” section. Acknowledgement section updated to reflect new acknowledgement for MS06-042.