Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for August 2007
Published: | Updated:
This bulletin summary lists security bulletins released for August 2007.
With the release of the bulletins for August 2007, this bulletin summary replaces the bulletin advance notification originally issued August 9, 2007. For more information about the bulletin advance notification service, see Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification.
For information about how to receive automatic notifications whenever Microsoft security bulletins are issued, visit Microsoft Technical Security Notifications.
Microsoft is hosting a webcast to address customer questions on these bulletins on August 15, 2007, at 11:00 AM Pacific Time (US & Canada). Register now for the August Security Bulletin Webcast. After this date, this webcast is available on-demand. For more information, see Microsoft Security Bulletin Summaries and Webcasts.
Microsoft also provides information to help customers prioritize monthly security updates with any non-security, high-priority updates that are being released on the same day as the monthly security updates. Please see the section, Other Information.
The security bulletins for this month are as follows, in order of severity:
Microsoft has released an updated version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update Services, and the Download Center.
For this month:
- Microsoft has released four non-security, high-priority updates on Microsoft Update (MU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
- Microsoft has released two non-security, high-priority updates for Windows on Windows Update (WU).
Note that this information pertains only to non-security, high-priority updates on Microsoft Update, Windows Update, and Windows Server Update Services released on the same day as the security bulletin summary. Information is not provided about non-security updates released on other days.
Update Management Strategies
Security Guidance for Patch Management provides additional information about Microsoft’s best-practice recommendations for applying security updates.
Obtaining Other Security Updates
Updates for other security issues are available from the following locations:
- Security updates are available from Microsoft Download Center. You can find them most easily by doing a keyword search for "security_patch".
- Updates for consumer platforms are available from Microsoft Update.
- You can obtain the security updates offered this month on Windows Update, from Download Center on Security and Critical Releases ISO CD Image files. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 913086.
IT Pro Security Community
Learn to improve security and optimize your IT infrastructure, and participate with other IT Pros on security topics in IT Pro Security Community.
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to help protect customers:
- An anonymous researcher working with the VeriSign iDefense VCP for reporting an issue described in MS07-042.
- An anonymous researcher working with the Zero Day Initiative for reporting an issue described in MS07-042.
- An anonymous researcher working with the VeriSign iDefense VCP for reporting an issue described in MS07-043.
- An anonymous researcher working with the Zero Day Initiative for reporting an issue described in MS07-043.
- Dyon Balding of Secunia for reporting an issue described in MS07-044.
- NSFocus Security Team for reporting an issue described in MS07-045.
- Brett Moore of Security-Assessment.com for reporting an issue described in MS07-045.
- eEye Digital Security for reporting an issue described in MS07-046.
- Piotr Bania, working with TippingPoint and the Zero Day Initiative, for reporting an issue described in MS07-047.
- Aviv Raff of Finjan for reporting an issue described in MS07-048.
- Aviv Raff, working with iDefense Labs, for reporting an issue described in MS07-048.
- Rafal Wojtczuk of McAfee Avert Labs for working with Microsoft on an issue described in MS07-049.
- eEye Digital Security for reporting an issue described in MS07-050.
- The affected software listed have been tested to determine which versions are affected. Other versions are past their support life cycle. To determine the support life cycle for your software version, visit Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
- Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit International Help and Support.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (August 14, 2007): Bulletin summary published.
- V1.1 (August 29, 2007): Affected Software table updated to change the Office Affected Software for MS07-044 from “Office 2000,” “Office XP,” and “Office 2003” to “Excel 2000,” “Excel 2002,” and “Excel 2003,” respectively.
- V2.0 (November 13, 2007): Affected Software table updated to include updated download links for MS07-049. A revised security update is now available to install for Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 Service Pack 1, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Standard Edition, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 Enterprise Edition, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 Standard Edition, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition.
- V3.0 (January 9, 2008): Affected Software table updated to add Microsoft Word Viewer 2003 under MS07-042. The same update for Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 applies to Microsoft Word Viewer 2003.
- V4.0 (June 24, 2008): Affected Software table updated to add Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows Vista x64 edition Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems, Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems, and Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems under MS07-042 for the KB936181 update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0. This is a detection change only. There were no changes to the binaries.
- V5.0 (August 12, 2008): Affected Software table updated to add Windows XP Service Pack 3 as an affected platform upon which Windows Media Player 9, Windows Media Player 10, and Windows Media Player 11 run. This is a detection change only. There were no changes to the binaries.