Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-065 - Important
Vulnerability in Message Queuing Could Allow Remote Code Execution (951071)
Published: | Updated:
This security update resolves a privately reported vulnerability in the Message Queuing Service (MSMQ) on Microsoft Windows 2000 systems. The vulnerability could allow remote code execution on Microsoft Windows 2000 systems with the MSMQ service enabled.
This security update is rated Important for all supported editions of Microsoft Windows 2000. For more information, see the subsection, Affected and Non-Affected Software, in this section.
The security update addresses the vulnerability by replacing the vulnerable string APIs that are processed by MSMQ. For more information about the vulnerability, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) subsection for the specific vulnerability entry under the next section, Vulnerability Information.
Recommendation. Microsoft recommends that customers apply the update at the earliest opportunity.
Known Issues. None
The following software have been tested to determine which versions or editions are affected. Other versions or editions are either past their support life cycle or are not affected. To determine the support life cycle for your software version or edition, visit Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
|Operating System||Maximum Security Impact||Aggregate Severity Rating||Bulletins Replaced by this Update|
|Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4||Remote Code Execution||Important||MS07-065|
|Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Service Pack 3|
|Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 2|
|Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2|
|Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition Service Pack 2|
|Windows Server 2003 with SP1 for Itanium-based Systems and Windows Server 2003 with SP2 for Itanium-based Systems|
|Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1|
|Windows Vista x64 Edition and Windows Vista x64 Edition Service Pack 1|
|Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems|
|Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems|
|Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems|
Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to help protect customers:
- Cody Pierce and Aaron Portnoy of TippingPoint DVLabs for reporting the MSMQ remote code execution vulnerability (CVE-2008-3479)
- Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
- International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- V1.0 (October 14, 2008): Bulletin published.
- V1.1 (October 15, 2008): Added a link in the Affected Software table to MS07-065, the bulletin replaced by this update.