Ignite Your Career - 2009 - E3 - Selling Yourself
About this Podcast
The Ignite Your Career webcast series was created as a result of your feedback that technical professionals needed help to develop those critical personal and professional skills that Technical Professionals so often neglect. We partnered with
IT World Canada
Canadian Information Processing Society
– in order to bring industry experts and thought leaders together for a radio talk show chat where we discussed various topics and answered your questions.
This special highlights edition of the Canadian Ignite Your Career webcast series takes the best ideas and soundbites from the previously recorded episodes. I’m joined by my co-host Shane Schick - editor in chief of
IT World Canada
– to help with the production.
In this episode - we talk about expressing the right level of details on your personal and professional accomplishments and how it can come in very handy when talking with your manager as well as a couple of levels up within your company. Are you doing yourself justice when someone asks you in the hallway "what have you been up to lately?" Now take this to the next level - would you be prepared if the unexpected happened and you were now out in the wild looking for a new job?
- Scott Hanselman: is a Microsoft as a Principal Program Manager, aiming to spread good information about developing software, usually on the Microsoft stack. Before this I was the Chief Architect at Corillian Corporation, now a part of Checkfree, for 6+ years. I was also involved in a few Microsoft Developer things for many years like the MVP and RD programs and I'll speak about computers (and other passions) whenever someone will listen.
- Andrew Dillane: Group CIO, Andrew Dillane leads the overall e-business strategy for the Randstad Canada Group of companies including Randstad Canada, Sapphire Canada, ATS Reliance, OriginHR and GMS Canada. Andrew also serves on the Advisory Board for Kids Internet Safety Alliance (KINSA).
- Nick Corcodilos: The host of Ask The Headhunter® and author of How to Work with Headhunters (2009). Nick started headhunting in 1979 in one of America's most competitive job markets: California's Silicon Valley. Using the methods described in his book and on the ATH blog, he has helped people win management and staff jobs in companies including IBM, GE, Hewlett-Packard and Merrill Lynch.
- Heather Hamilton: Manages Microsoft’s Global Competitive Programs Team responsible for competitive research and programs. In this role, she leads Microsoft’s efforts aimed at enabling global research centers to monitor the competitive talent landscape and leverage opportunities to recruit the best technical talent through deliverables such as competitive intelligence, training and opportunistic recruiting programs.
More information and resources related to the Ignite Your Career series can be found on
it's main landing page.
Subscribe to the
Ignite Your Career RSS feed to get all the latest ongoing episodes and resources as we discover and share new ones.
Comments, Suggestions and Ideas for Future Topics can be left below as a comment or emailed directly to the Ignite Your Career feedback alias at
Full episode available
Music and audio production provided by
Mark Blevis -
Publish Date: 11/5/2009
Length: 9min 2seconds