What IEAK Can Do For You
Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) enables the most efficient deployment and management of web-based solutions. IEAK is designed to be used by four primary customers: corporations, Internet service providers (ISPs), Internet content providers (ICPs), and independent software vendors (ISVs). Learn how to tailor a custom browser to meet your users' needs.
Internet Explorer Administration Kit provides administrators with powerful, easy-to-use options designed to save time and money when deploying and managing web solutions.
IEAK allows you to:
- Establish version control across your organization.
- Centrally distribute and manage browser installations.
- Configure automatic connection profiles for users' machines.
- Customize virtually any aspect of Windows Internet Explorer, including features, security, communications settings, and other important elements.
Internet Service Providers
Internet Explorer Administration Kit programs and tools make it easy to create and deploy custom browser packages and to manage the browser after the installation.
As an ISP, you can customize Internet Explorer and make it easy for customers to sign up for your services. IEAK works faster and more reliably to help save time distributing your browser, get more users to the Web, and reduce your support costs.
IEAK allows you to:
- Customize the browser and other features to match your business objectives.
- Flexibly deploy and distribute the browser.
- Include third-party add-ons with installation.
- Include search providers and custom components.
- Include, starting with IEAK 8, Web Slices and Accelerators as a part of your package.
Internet Explorer Administration Kit makes it easy for you to generate a custom browser with Internet Explorer that can be deployed via web download or disc to your subscribers.
Internet Content Providers
As an Internet content provider, you can choose customization options for Internet Explorer that help showcase your content in a number of ways. Internet Explorer Administration Kit enables you to customize the appearance of the browser and the Setup program. You can add your organization's name or other wording to the title bar. For example, the phrase "Windows Internet Explorer Provided by Proseware, Inc." could appear on your title bar.
You can preset the following web pages and links:
- Customer support page
- Users' home page
- Users' search providers
- Links in the Favorites bar
- Links to Explorer bars
- Add-on Components page (for optional components)
- Web Slices and Accelerators (starting with IEAK 8)
- The mode Internet Explorer renders in (Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 7 mode using IEAK 8 or IEAK 9)
You can also customize the appearance of the browser software so that your organization's content is more prominent when the user browses the Internet. For example, you may want to customize the user's home page with content and links related to your business. By continually updating the content on your websites, you can keep users interested in and informed about your products or services.
Customization Examples for ICPs
To showcase your organization's information and services on the Internet, you may want to consider the following customization options:
- Add links to your organization's websites. For example, if your organization is a radio station, you could add links to webpages that highlight play-lists and composers' biographies. If you are deploying Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 9, you could add a radio station Web Slice with the daily top 20 songs.
- Update the browser interface with your organization's branding. You can add your organization's name to the title bar.
- Track information about your customized browser software by using a user agent string--a string of characters that a web browser sends when it visits an Internet site. The custom string that you append to the user agent string enables websites to compile statistics about how many of your customers are using your browser to view those sites.
Independent Software Vendors
As an independent software vendor, you can easily distribute your custom program with Internet Explorer. By using Internet Explorer Administration Kit programs and tools, you can create custom browser software packages that include your own components and controls for how your users install the packages.
Using IEAK, you can include Internet Explorer technologies, such as the Web Browser control, with your custom program and easily create Internet Explorer distribution media. You can also specify home and search providers and add websites to the Favorites list when you create your custom browser software packages.
You can also redistribute Internet Explorer. By using setup scripts or command-line switches, you can reduce or eliminate the user interaction required to install Internet Explorer and Internet Tools. This helps ensure smooth installation when users set up your custom program with Internet Explorer.