IEAK 9 Release Documentation
Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) 9 simplifies the creation, deployment, and management of customized Windows Internet Explorer 9 packages. IEAK 9 can be used to configure the out-of-box Internet Explorer 9 experience for your users, and to manage user settings after you deploy Internet Explorer 9.
On This Page
- Internet Explorer Customization Wizard. The Internet Explorer Customization Wizard guides you through the process of creating custom browser packages. When these packages are installed on your clients' desktops, they'll receive customized versions of Internet Explorer with the settings and options that you selected in the wizard.
- Windows Installer (MSI). IEAK 9 supports creating an MSI wrapper for your custom Internet Explorer 9 packages. This makes enterprise deployment using Active Directory possible.
- IEAK Help. The IEAK Help includes many conceptual and procedural topics that you can view by using the Index, Contents, and Search tabs. You can also print topics from the IEAK Help.
Top of page
Before You Install IEAK 9: Installation Requirements
You must have Internet Explorer 9 installed on your computer in order for IEAK 9 to run successfully. IEAK 9 will not work if you have a pre-release version of Internet Explorer installed.
We recommend that you install IEAK 9 on a computer that is running the same operating system as the destination computer for which you are creating a package. In order to use a localized version of IEAK, you must ensure that the IEAK language matches your operating system language.
Supported operating systems
With this version of this product, you can customize and install Internet Explorer 9 on the following supported operating systems:
- Windows 7 x86
- Windows 7 x64
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Vista x86 with at least Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Windows Vista x64 with at least SP2
- Windows Server 2008 x86 with at least SP2
- Windows Server 2008 x64 with at least SP2
Top of page
Distributing a Basic Version of Internet Explorer 9
Users of the former Covermount program can use the ICP version of IEAK 9 to create a basic version or Internet Explorer 9. IEAK 9 licensing guidelines allow for IEAK custom browser packages to be redistributed with or without making customizations to the browser. To build an Internet Explorer package without customizations, you need to install IEAK9, and then run the customization wizard.
To install IEAK 9:
- Install IEAK 9 from the
IEAK Information and Downloads
page. You can use any of the 24 versions of IEAK to build an Internet Explorer package in any language that Internet Explorer 9 is available in. For more information, see
Supported Languages for the Internet Explorer Administration Kit 9 packages.
- On the Choose License Type page, click External Distribution as a Content Provider or Developer, and then click Next.
To run the customization wizard:
- Click Start and then click Internet Explorer Customization Wizard 9.
- On the Platform Selection page, under Target Platform, select the operating system version that the Internet Explorer package will be installed on, and then click Next.
- On the Language Selection page, select the language that you want the Internet Explorer package built in, and then click Next.
- On the Media Selection page, click CD-ROM if you are distributing this version of Internet Explorer on a CD-ROM.
- On the Feature Selection page, click Clear All to clear all customizable options and create a basic version of Internet Explorer.
- Click Next to complete the wizard.
Top of page
After Installing IEAK 9
To start using IEAK:
- Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows IEAK 9.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Internet Explorer Customization Wizard to start creating a custom package.
You can also open Internet Explorer 9 Customization Wizard from the command line by typing ieakwiz.
- Click IEAK Profile Manager to edit existing settings.
- Click IEAK Help to access the IEAK 9 product documentation (IEAKHelp.chm).
Top of page
The following are the known issues with this product:
- You can only install IEAK 9 if you have at least Internet Explorer 9 installed.
- The Internet Explorer 9 Customization Wizard does not work with user names that use double-byte character sets; for example, Chinese and Japanese. To fix this, you need to set the TEMP and TMP environment variables to a path that does not use these characters (for example, C:\temp). To do this, open System Properties and on the Advanced tab, click Environmental Variables. Then, click Edit and modify TEMP and TMP to a directory that is not in the user profile.
- If you are using the IEAK 9 to package Internet Explorer 9 in other languages, the settings on the Additional Settings page (which appears at the end of the Internet Explorer 9 Customization Wizard) will always appear in the language of the target platform, regardless of the language of IEAK 9.
- When you add feeds by using the Favorites, Favorites Bar, and Feeds page of the Internet Explorer 9 Customization Wizard, you can only add feeds under a single folder. If you create two levels of folders and create a feed under the subfolder, then the feed will not work.
Top of page