SQL Query Analyzer
SQL Query Analyzer is a graphical user interface for designing and testing Transact-SQL statements, batches, and scripts interactively. SQL Query Analyzer can be called from SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
SQL Query Analyzer offers:
- A Free-form text editor for keying in Transact-SQL statements.
- Color-coding of Transact-SQL syntax to improve the readability of complex statements.
- Object browser and object search tools for easily finding the objects in a database and the structure of the objects.
- Templates that can be used to speed development of the Transact-SQL statements for creating SQL Server objects. Templates are files that include the basic structure of the Transact-SQL statements needed to create objects in a database.
- An interactive debugger for analyzing stored procedures.
- Results presented in either a grid or a free-form text window.
- Graphical diagram of the showplan information showing the logical steps built into the execution plan of a Transact-SQL statement.
This allows programmers to determine what specific part of a poorly performing query is using a lot of resources. Programmers can then explore changing the query in ways that minimize the resource usage while still returning the correct data.
- Index Tuning Wizard to analyze a Transact-SQL statement and the tables it references, to see if adding additional indexes will improve the performance of the query.