Installation Requirements and Considerations
Installation of English Query requires the following:
- Microsoft® Windows® 95, Windows 98, Microsoft Windows NT® version 4.0 (Service Pack 6 or later), or Windows 2000.
- 40 MB of free disk space.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.0 or later (build 2615 or later is required for the display of large models and other user interface elements if running on a Windows 98 system).
Note Internet Explorer version 5.5 may affect how topics appear when they are printed.
Before installing English Query, consider the following:
- English Query and Windows 2000 logo requirements.
Because English Query appears within Microsoft Visual Studio® version 6.0, which is not compliant, English Query does not meet Windows 2000 logo requirements.
- English Query documentation.
All of the documentation for English Query is available in the HTMLHelp file Eqdoc.chm and the tutorial Eqtut.chm, which can be accessed from the English Query Help menu or from the English Query program group. If English Query is the only Visual Studio product you have installed, you must install MSDN® to access Visual Studio Help.
If English Query has been installed with Microsoft SQL Server™ 2000, the Help system will access SQL Server Books Online, SQL80.col, instead of English Query Books Online, Eqdoc.chm. However, both documentation files contain essentially the same material and both provide context-sensitive (F1) Help for English Query. Regardless of the installation scenario, English Query Books Online is called from the English Query program group.
- English Query 2000 is compiled with XML 2.0, whereas SQL Server 2000 uses XML 2.6. To prevent compilation errors, select XML 2.0 in the References section of your English Query project.
- OLAP Services version 7.0 must not be running during installation.
Installing English Query 2000 when the SQL Server 7.0 OLAP Services service is running may break connectivity to the local OLAP Client. This issue does not occur when SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services is running.
- If you are running OLAP Services 7.0, OLAP Manager must not be running during installation.
If OLAP Manager is running, English Query Setup cannot copy the files needed for English Query OLAP support. Quit OLAP Manager before running English Query Setup.
- Uninstalling English Query breaks SQL Server 7.0 OLAP Services and vice versa.
If you have installed SQL Server 7.0 OLAP Services, and you uninstall English Query, you must reinstall OLAP Services. Conversely, if you have installed English Query and you uninstall SQL Server 7.0 OLAP Services, you must reinstall English Query to maintain OLAP connectivity. This issue does not occur with Analysis Services.
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) must not be running with an English Query application during installation.
If using English Query in a Web page, shut down IIS by running net stop iisadmin before installing English Query.
- Microsoft Visual Basic® and Microsoft Visual C++® sample applications use either the Microsoft PivotTable® or Microsoft FlexGrid Control version 6.0 to connect to a Analysis Services server.
The Visual Basic and Visual C++ sample applications use either the PivotTable or the FlexGrid control to display the results of Multidimensional Expressions (MDX) queries. At run-time, the sample application detects which of the following dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) or Microsoft ActiveX® controls are installed on your computer. The sample applications can display the results of MDX queries in a PivotTable using an MDX wrapper.
To display the query results in a PivotTable, you must have the following files registered on your computer.
File Description Msowc.dll This DLL contains the PivotTable control and is installed with Microsoft Office 2000. Owcmdx.dll This DLL contains the MDX wrapper and is installed with English Query.
- FlexGrid Control
If the PivotTable control is not installed on your computer, the sample applications use the FlexGrid Control 6.0 and ActiveX Data Objects (multidimensional) (ADO MD) version 2.5 to display the query results.
To display the query results using the FlexGrid control, you must have the following files registered on your computer.
File Description Msflxgrd.ocx This file contains the FlexGrid control. Msadomd.dll This DLL is required to use ADO MD 2.5.
- The authoring tool shows the splash screen for Microsoft Visual InterDev® and Microsoft Visual J++®.
The English Query authoring tool is integrated within the Visual Studio common shell, which also includes Visual InterDev and Visual J++. The splash screens for these products may also appear at startup.