Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 Security Baseline
Published: April 6, 2010 | Updated: January 28, 2013
Download This Solution Accelerator
The Microsoft Office 2007 Security Baseline is integrated with the Microsoft Security Compliance Manager tool. The Microsoft Office 2007 Security Guide is now included within the Office 2007 Security Baseline. To access the guidance included in the Office 2007 Security Baseline, please download the Security Compliance Manager (SCM) tool.
To access this and other security baselines for Windows client and server operating systems and Microsoft applications, launch the download of the Security Compliance Manager.
Learn more about the Security Compliance Manager.
Looking for the Microsoft Office 2010 Security Baseline? Learn more.
About This Solution Accelerator
The Microsoft Office 2007 Security Baseline is part of the SCM tool. The tool is designed to provide you with an end-to-end solution to help you plan, deploy, and monitor the security baselines of computers running 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2) applications in your environment.
What is a security baseline?
A security baseline is a collection of configurations items for a Microsoft product that provides prescribed values to solve a specific use case or scenario. Microsoft application security baselines provide guidance and supporting technical data required to implement an effective and efficient security infrastructure, enabling you to:
- Understand threats.
- Implement countermeasures.
- Learn about product-specific recommendations.
This knowledge is accessed through the Security Compliance Manager tool, which gives you the ability to customize a security baseline to meet the unique requirements of your organization. The tool exports security baselines in multiple formats to help you apply the configuration and confirm the compliance level of the computers in your organization.
Microsoft application security baselines include the following elements:
- A detailed view of security vulnerabilities specific to the Microsoft application, and the potential impact of configuring significant settings in these areas, to help you better understand how to effectively mitigate threats to your environment.
- Recommended countermeasures to address such vulnerabilities, as well as the technical data required to implement and assess the state of each countermeasure that you implement.
- A product-specific security guide that provides detailed instructions and recommendations to help strengthen the security of the Microsoft applications in your organization.
About the Security Compliance Manager
We’ve taken our extensive threats and countermeasures guidance and incorporated it into the SCM tool, enabling you to assess, configure, and manage all of your organization’s security baselines in one centralized location.
SCM provides centralized security baseline management features, a baseline portfolio, customization capabilities, and security baseline export flexibility to accelerate your organization’s ability to efficiently manage the security and compliance process for the most widely used Microsoft technologies.
Take advantage of the experience of Microsoft security professionals, and reduce the time and money required to harden for your environment. This end-to-end Solution Accelerator will help you plan, deploy, operate, and manage your security baselines for Windows client and server operating systems, and Microsoft applications. Access the complete database of Microsoft recommended security settings, customize your baselines, and then choose from multiple formats—including Desired Configuration Management (DCM) packs, Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP), XLS, or Group Policy objects (GPOs)—to export the baselines to your environment to automate the security baseline compliance verification process.
Use the Security Compliance Manager tool to achieve a secure, reliable, and centralized IT environment that will help you better balance your organization’s needs for security and functionality.
Included in the Download
The Microsoft Security Compliance Manager download includes the following components:
- Microsoft_Security_Compliance_Manager_Setup.exe – The Microsoft Security Compliance Manager allows you to view, update, and export security baselines.
- LocalGPO.msi – This tool is designed to manage local group policies of a computer such as applying a security baseline and exporting the local Group Policy.
Once you download and install the Security Compliance Manager tool, you can view all available Microsoft product security baselines. For more information, refer to the getting started guidance in the SCM TechNet Wiki.
The .cab file for the Microsoft Office 2007 Security Baseline includes the following components:
- Office 2007 Computer Baseline
- Office 2007 User Baseline
- Office 2007 Security Guide.docx
The following resources provide additional information about security topics and in-depth discussion of the concepts and security prescriptions in this guide:
- Security Solution Accelerators
- Security Compliance Manager TechNet Wiki
- Solution Accelerators Security and Compliance Blog
- Solution Accelerators Team presents Security Compliance Manager
- IT Infrastructure Threat Modeling Guide
- System Center Configuration Manager Extensions for SCAP
Community and Feedback
- Want to know what’s coming up next? Check out our Security Guidance Blog.
- E-mail the Solution Accelerators security team with your feedback: SecWish@microsoft.com.
- If you’ve used a Solution Accelerator in your organization, please share your experience with us by completing this short survey.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT professionals plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management
Download This Accelerator
Launch the download of the Security Compliance Manager.