Install and Configure the External DNS Server
In this section, you deploy and configure your external DNS server, DNS01.
In the reference architecture, you will deploy a single external DNS server with a single Network Interface.
If you plan on deploying an external DNS server in a production environment you should familiarize your self with the best practices for External DNS Server Hardening.
- Prepare the External DNS Server
- Add DNS Services to the DNS Server
Perform a default installation of Windows Server 2003 R2 on DNS01. This requires you to install Windows Server 2003 with SP1, and then install Windows Server 2003 R2.
- Perform a default installation of Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (with Service Pack 1 integrated), by using the CD boot method. Install the Support Tools from the Windows Server 2003 CD. Use appropriate naming conventions for your environment.
- After Setup for Windows Server 2003 with SP1 is complete, log on to the computer as an administrator. Insert Disc 2 into your CD-ROM drive. Setup for Disc 2 should start automatically. If it does not start automatically, browse to Disk 2 (or the shared folder that contains the Setup files) and, in the \Cmpnents\R2 folder, click Setup2.exe. Follow the instructions on your screen to upgrade to R2.
Prepare this server by enabling Remote Desktop, installing Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, installing the Windows Server 2003 Support Tools, and installing the latest updates from Microsoft.
- Enable Remote Desktop. Click Start, point to Control Panel, click System, and then, on the Remote tab, select Enable Remote Desktop on this Computer.
- Install the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
- Install Support Tools from the Support Tools directory on the Windows Server 2003 CD.
- Apply any released updates to Windows Server 2003 by using Microsoft Update.
Use the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs utility to add DNS services to the DNS server.
- On DNS01, click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove programs.
- Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Scroll down and select Networking services.
- Click Details, and then select the Domain Name System (DNS) check box.
- Click OK, and then click Next.
You may be prompted to use the Windows Setup disk to complete the installation of DNS services.
In Build Service Provisioning, you will deploy provisioning components that will allow you to automate the creation of DNS records on this external DNS server.