Install and Configure Exchange Server 2007 Monitoring and Data Collection
- Install the Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack
- Create Test Mailboxes for OWA, ActiveSync, and Exchange Web Services Connectivity Monitoring
- Enable External Outlook Web Access Connectivity Monitoring
- Add the MOMService User Account as a Member of the MPSExchangeAccts Group
- Install the Exchange Data Collection Application
Install the Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack into Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005.
- On MOM01, install the Exchange Server 2007 MOM pack, Exchange2007ManagementPackForMOM2005.msi, using default settings.
- In the MOM 2005 Administrator Console left pane, expand Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM01), right-click Management Packs, and then select Import/Export Management Pack....
- Click Next on the Welcome screen.
- On the Import or Export Management Packs page, leave the default Import Management Packs and/or reports selected and click Next.
- On the Select a folder and Choose Import Type page, click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Operations Manager 2005\Management Packs\Microsoft Exchange 2007 Management Pack. Leave the default Import Management Packs and reports selected, and then click Next.
- On the Select Management Packs page, select Exchange2007ManagmentPack.akm. Leave the remaining settings at defaults, and then click Next.
- On the Select Reports page, select Exchange2007Reports.xml and then click Next.
- On the Secure Socket Layer Confirmation page, click Continue.
- Complete the installation of the Exchange Server 2007 MOM pack.
The Exchange Server 2007 Management Pack uses cmdlets to test Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access (OWA), Microsoft ActiveSync, and Exchange Web Services connectivity from Client Access servers to Mailbox servers. These cmdlets require that a test mailbox be created on each Exchange Server 2007 Mailbox server that is to be tested. In this procedure you create test mailboxes for OWA, ActiveSync, and Exchange Web Services connectivity monitoring by using PowerShell to run the New-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1 script. The appropriate mailbox is created on each Mailbox server by piping in the results of get-mailboxServer.
- On EXMBX02, open PowerShell and change directory to the C:\ Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Scripts folder.
- Execute the following command:
get-mailboxServer | .\new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1
- Follow the on-screen installation instructions to complete the creation of the test mailbox.
Next, you will set an external URL on your Outlook Web Access virtual directory. To set an external URL, you need to run the Set-OwaVirtualDirectory Exchange Management Shell command.
- On EXCASUM01, open PowerShell.
- Execute the following command:
set-owavirtualdirectory "excasum01\owa (Default Web Site)" -ExternalURL HTTPS:\\Webmail.ConsolidatedMessenger.com
Add the MOMService user account as a member of the MPSExchangeAccts group in Active Directory directory service. The MOMService account is used to gather data from Exchange, and membership in the MPSExchangeAccts group grants this access.
- On AD01, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Expand fabrikam.com, and then highlight Users.
- Right-click MPSExchangeAccts, and then click Properties.
- Select the Members tab, and then click Add.
- In Enter the object names to select, type MOMService, and then click Check Names. Verify that the MOMService account is underlined, click OK, and then click Add.
- Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
The Exchange data collection tool is an executable program (Exchange Data Collection) that you install on EXMBX02. You need to install the tool, modify its ExchangeServerNames.xml config file, and then create a scheduled task to run the tool.
- On EXMBX02, from the solution installation media \Monitoring and Reporting\ directory run Exchdatasetup.msi .
- On the Welcome page select Next.
- On the Select Installation Folder page, leave the Folder field set to the default installation folder, and then select Everyone. Select Next to continue.
- On the Confirm Installation page, select Next to start the installation.
- On the Installation Complete page, select Close.
- On EXMBX02, in Microsoft Windows Explorer, navigate to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hosting\Reporting\Exchange Data Collection folder.
- Edit the ExchangeServerNames.xml file. Add a line for each Exchange mailbox server in your deployment. For clusters, include an entry for the virtual server name. Two examples would be:
- Save the file.
- On EXMBX02, go to Start, Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, and then click Add Scheduled Task.
- In the Scheduled Task Wizard, click Next.
- Click Browse, navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hosting\Reporting\Exchange Data Collection select the file Exchange Data Collection and then click Open.
- Select Daily, and then click Next.
- Set Start Time to 1:15 AM, and then click Next.
- Enter the Fabrikam\MOMService user name and password, and then click Next.
- Select Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish and then click Finish.
- In the Task tab, on the Run line, change the line to append -d PWDB40 -s MOMSQL01. For example:
and then click OK.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hosting\Reporting\Exchange Data Collection" -d PWDB40 -s MOMSQL01
- Re-enter the password for MOMService.
Add MomActionAccts group to the local Administrators group on each Exchange server.
- On each Exchange server, open Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
- Expand Local Users and Groups, and then click Groups.
- Double-click Administrators.
- Click Add, and then type MOMActionAccts.
- Click Check Names to make sure that the name resolves, and then click OK.