Event ID 2000 — Performance Library Availability
Updated: December 6, 2007
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Performance counters, including those built in to the operating system and those provided by non-Microsoft vendors, are combined in the Performance Library. Performance monitoring applications such as Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor use the Performance Library to identify available counters and map to counter providers. Errors accessing the Performance Library may result in application errors when expected data cannot be found, or when expected data providers are unavailable.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The returned pointer did not match the buffer length returned by the Collect procedure for the "%1!s!" service in Extensible Counter DLL "%2!s!". The length will be adjusted to match the buffer length and the performance data will appear in the Perf Data Block. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the returned length and the second four bytes (DWORD) the new length.|
Contact a vendor to resolve a buffer alignment error
Windows requires performance counters to conform to 8-byte data block sizes. The specified service does not conform to this requirement. Contact your software support provider to obtain an updated version of the service.
You can use Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor to verify that netowkr performance counters are properly collected and displayed in a Performance Monitor graph. In addition, you can use the typeperf command to get a list of the available counters on the local system.
Membership in the local Administrators group is required to complete these procedures.
View counters in Performance Monitor
To view counters in Performance Monitor:
- On the computer where you want to view counters, click Start. In the Start Search text box, type perfmon.exe, and then press ENTER.
- In the navigation pane, expand Monitoring Tools, and then click Performance Monitor.
- Click the Add button to open a list of available performance counters.
- In the Add Counters dialog box, you can click Help for more information on adding counters. When you have finished adding counters to the list, click OK.
- Verify that the performance counters you selected are displayed in the Performance Monitor graph.
View a list of counters using the typeperf command
To view a list of counters at the command prompt:
- Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type typeperf -qx and press ENTER.
- Verify that the performance counter list contains expected values.