Event ID 3002 — Performance Counter Loading
Updated: December 6, 2007
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Performance counters are collected and used by services and applications. If they are installed incorrectly or with improper permissions, performance counters cannot be loaded, and services or applications cannot collect or interpret the data.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The performance counter explain text string value in the registry is not formatted correctly. The malformed string is %1!s!. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the index value to the malformed string while the second and third DWORDs in the Data section contain the last valid index values.|
Rebuild the list of available counters
Membership in the local Administrators group is required to complete this procedure.
To rebuild the list of counters in the registry:
- Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories.
- Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type lodctr /r, and then press ENTER.
You can use Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor to verify that netowkr performance counters are properly collected and displayed in a Performance Monitor graph. In addition, you can use the typeperf command to get a list of the available counters on the local system.
Membership in the local Administrators group is required to complete these procedures.
View counters in Performance Monitor
To view counters in Performance Monitor:
- On the computer where you want to view counters, click Start. In the Start Search text box, type perfmon.exe, and then press ENTER.
- In the navigation pane, expand Monitoring Tools, and then click Performance Monitor.
- Click the Add button to open a list of available performance counters.
- In the Add Counters dialog box, you can click Help for more information on adding counters. When you have finished adding counters to the list, click OK.
- Verify that the performance counters you selected are displayed in the Performance Monitor graph.
View a list of counters using the typeperf command
To view a list of counters at the command prompt:
- Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type typeperf -qx and press ENTER.
- Verify that the performance counter list contains expected values.