Office Communicator Mobile Enhancements
Topic Last Modified: 2009-01-22
The 2007 R2 version of Microsoft Office Communicator Mobile is an enterprise messaging client for mobile devices that integrates instant messaging (IM), presence, and telephony. It offers a familiar experience for users of Microsoft Office Communicator, and can be accessed anywhere that information workers can connect to their wireless service provider or network service provider. Office Communicator Mobile consists of two components, the server and the client. The server component is Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2. The client component is Office Communicator Mobile software that runs on Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.0 software for Pocket PC and Smartphone devices.
Single Number Reach
Office Communicator Mobile, together with Office Communications Server 2007 R2, provides enterprise users with single number reach dialing. Each enterprise user has a unique telephone number through which all users’ endpoints are contacted, including mobile devices running Office Communicator Mobile. When an invitation is sent to the user, the user can answer the call on the endpoint of their choosing. With Single Number Reach users can make and receive calls on their mobile devices using their work number, allowing for a singular work identity. Additionally, Single Number Reach dialing is integrated with Outlook Contacts on the mobile device.
Office Communicator Mobile optimizes performance to improve battery life and decreases sign-in time over the previous version of Office Communicator Mobile.
- Improved battery life
- Reduced bandwidth consumption
- Reduced sign-in time
Enhanced “Mobile” Presence Status
A “Mobile” presence status tag has been added to Office Communicator Mobile. For users running multiple clients (for example, Office Communicator, Office Communicator Mobile, and Office Communicator Phone Edition), Office Communications Server 2007 R2 determines the most active endpoint to accurately report presence status. For example, when users sign into Office Communicator Mobile on their mobile device, the “Mobile” indicator is added to their presence status to indicate the most active Communicator endpoint.
Enhanced Search complements the existing search mechanism by allowing you to search for friends by their office number or mobile number (if published), or search a Distribution Group by its alias or e-mail address.
- Recent Contacts. Office Communicator Mobile provides a Recent Contacts group. The Recent Contacts group is a list of contacts that users have most recently communicated with on their mobile phone.
- Expandable Distribution Groups. Office Communicator Mobile supports distribution groups that can be expanded or collapsed. Users have the option to have distribution groups expanded or collapsed when they start Office Communicator Mobile.
- Navigation between multiple IM conversations. With Office Communicator Mobile, users can conduct multiple IM conversations and easily navigate between them. Users can navigate between conversations by moving forward or backward using the mobile phone’s directional pad.
- Easy installation and sign-in. When installing Office Communicator Mobile on their device for the first time, users do not need to do any special configuration. They simply use their company user name and password to sign in.