Version 2.0 Overview
Published: March 27, 2009
New features in Version 2.0 of the Service Level Dashboard include:
- Near real-time data latency. The data latency is now near real-time at two to three minutes, giving IT service managers the visibility they need to make decisions faster.
- Dashboard metrics for service level tracking. New metrics facilitate the tracking of mean time to repair (MTTR), mean time between failures (MTBF), and application service level trends.
- New presentation platform. Version 2.0 uses Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 as its presentation platform, eliminating the need for business users to have the Operations Manager console.
- Authentication. The Service Level Dashboard now uses Windows SharePoint Services groups to authenticate users and sites, making it easy to establish access to specific reports by setting permissions based on the user’s role in the organization.
- Service level objectives (SLOs). Administrators can use the new Service Level Tracking feature in Operations Manager to configure service goals for applications and groups.
Download This Solution Accelerator
Click here to get the beta release by joining the Operations Manager R2 public beta program. From this location, you can access the Service Level Dashboard 2.0 download package.
About This Solution Accelerator
Service Level Dashboard 2.0 uses Operations Manager as the engine and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 as its presentation platform to track and report the service levels of important applications and groups on a near real-time basis.
Service Level Dashboard 2.0 integrates with an already functioning deployment of Operations Manager 2007 R2 RC1 and has no additional infrastructure requirements. Software requirements are:
- Operations Manager 2007 R2 RC1 with Reporting and Data Warehouse
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
Note Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is supported as an alternative to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
How the Dashboard Works
The Service Level Dashboard is an application built on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. It is designed to work with an existing Operations Manager 2007 R2 infrastructure configured to monitor business-critical applications. The dashboard evaluates an application or group over a time period that the administrator selects during setup, determines whether it met the defined service level commitment, and displays summarized data about the service levels.
In Operations Manager 2007 R2, you define your service goals (called “service level objectives” or SLOs). The Service Level Dashboard evaluates each SLO over the defined dashboard time period and determines if it met the goal during that period. The dashboard displays each SLO and identifies its states, based on defined service level targets.
The following diagram illustrates, at a high-level, the process flow that occurs within the Service Level Dashboard environment:
The Service Level Dashboard integrates with the Operations Manager Data Warehouse database and displays service level metrics on the Windows SharePoint Services interface. All the customized and personalized data associated with the Web Parts of the Service Level Dashboard is stored in the Windows SharePoint Services Content database.
The dashboard can summarize the current status and health of all defined SLOs against an application or group of objects. Key measures used to evaluate various aspects of the health of defined SLOs include such information as service level metrics, mean time to repair (MTTR), mean time between failures (MTBF), and service level trends.
Included in the Download
The Service Level Dashboard 2.0 beta release is available as a single zip file, Service Level Dashboard 2.0.zip, containing the following components:
- Service Level Dashboard 2.0 Beta Release Notes (.rtf file)
- Service Level Dashboard 2.0_x86.msi
- Service Level Dashboard 2.0_x64.msi
- Service Level Dashboard for Operations Manager 2007 R2 User Guide (.docx file)
- Supplemental License for Service Level Dashboard for Operations Manager 2007 R2 (.rtf file)
- Microsoft System Center Operations Manager at http://www.microsoft.com/opsmgr
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 at
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 at http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint
Community and Feedback
Please send questions or comments about this Solution Accelerator to firstname.lastname@example.org.