Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment Overview
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows PowerShell Integrated Scripting Environment (ISE) is a graphical host application for Windows PowerShell. Windows PowerShell ISE lets you run commands, and write, edit, run, test, and debug scripts in an environment that displays syntax in colors and that supports Unicode.
Windows PowerShell is a command-line shell and scripting language built on the Microsoft .NET Framework. It is designed especially for Windows administration. Its simple cmdlet (pronounced "command-let") tools and built-in Help system let you start working immediately. You can combine the cmdlets into pipelines that contain multiple commands and then save your favorite command sequences in functions that automate tasks. More experienced users can use Windows PowerShell as a development platform and extend it by adding functions, cmdlets, and providers.
Windows PowerShell ISE is designed for users at all levels of proficiency. Beginners will appreciate the syntax colors and the context-sensitive Help. Multiline editing makes it easy to try the examples that you copy from the Help topics and from other sources. Advanced users will appreciate the availability of multiple execution environments, the built-in debugger, and the extensibility of the Windows PowerShell ISE object model.
Windows PowerShell 2.0 is a feature of Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows PowerShell ISE is an optional feature. To install it, use the Add Features Wizard.
Windows PowerShell ISE Features
The features of Windows PowerShell ISE include:
- A Command pane for running interactive commands.
- A Script pane for writing, editing, and running scripts. You can run the entire script or selected lines from the script.
- A scrollable Output pane that displays a transcript of commands from the Command and Script panes and their results.
- Up to eight independent Windows PowerShell execution environments in the same window, each with its own Command, Script, and Output panes. This tabbed environment allows you to work on several tasks at the same time.
- Multiline editing in the Command pane lets you paste multiple lines of code, run them, and then recall them as a unit.
- A built-in debugger for debugging commands, functions, and scripts. You can set and remove breakpoints, step through your code, check the values of variables, and display a call-stack trace.
- Customizable features let you adjust the colors, font, and layout.
- A scriptable object model lets you further customize and extend Windows PowerShell ISE. You can add functionality, including menu items. Also, you can access the session, the files, and the editor to create your own features.
- Line and column numbers, keyboard shortcuts, tab completion, context-sensitive Help, and Unicode support make Windows PowerShell ISE an efficient and productive environment for using Windows PowerShell. Windows PowerShell even lets you open files by using a drag-and-drop operation.
Windows PowerShell ISE Requirements
Windows PowerShell ISE runs on Windows XP and later versions of Windows, except for Server Core installations of Windows Server.
Windows PowerShell ISE requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 with Service Pack 1. If this version of the Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed on your system, Server Manager installs it when you install Windows PowerShell ISE.
For more information about Windows PowerShell and Windows PowerShell ISE, see Windows PowerShell (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107116).