Using Lync-Skype Connectivity in Skype
Work Smart by Microsoft IT
Quick Reference Guide
Published: May 2014
Quick Reference Guide, 144 KB, Microsoft Word file
Microsoft Lync Server 2013 supports connectivity with Microsoft Skype software. From the living room to boardroom, Lync-Skype connectivity helps improve communication and productivity. With Lync-Skype connectivity, Skype users and Lync users can add each other as contacts, exchange instant messages (IMs), and make audio calls.
Installing Skype for Windows 8
You can install the Windows desktop client or choose from a variety of Skype clients for different devices.
- On the Start screen, type Skype to open the search bar.
- Tap or click the Store icon on the search bar.
- Tap or click the Skype application tile that appears in the search results on the left side of the screen.
- Tap or click Install.
- Sign in to Skype by using your Microsoft account when you’re prompted, and then tap or click Save.
- The Skype app tile is now displayed on the right of your Start screen.
Creating a Microsoft Account
If you don’t have a Microsoft account (previously called a Windows Live ID), it’s easy to create one.
- Go to the Create an account page.
- Fill out the form, and then tap or click Create account.
Signing in for the first time
If you’re new to Skype, you’ll need to join Skype the first time that you sign in.
- Click or tap the Skype tile on the Start screen to start the Skype application.
- Click or tap I’m new to Skype.
You can merge your existing Skype account with your Microsoft account for single sign-on across a variety of applications and services.
- Start Skype by clicking or tapping the Skype application tile on the Start screen.
- Click or tap I have a Skype account.
- Type your Skype Name and password, and then tap or click Sign in.
- Review the accounts that you’re about to merge. If everything is okay, tap or click Continue.
Adding a Lync contact to Skype
To connect to a Lync user, you must add them as a contact.
- Sign in to your Skype client by using your Microsoft account.
- Tap or click the Add Contacts icon.
- On the search screen, type the Lync user’s email address (for example, email@example.com), and then tap or click the Search icon.
- When Skype finds the match in the search results, look for the word Lync below the Lync user’s name. This indicates that Skype successfully located the Lync user. Tap or click the name.
- In the conversation window that opens, tap or click Add to Contacts.
Communicating with a Lync user from Skype
You can send an IM from Skype to a Lync user, or you can use Skype to place an audio call to a Lync user. The Lync user must be online (a green icon is displayed next to their name) for you to select them for communication.
To send an IM:
- Start Skype.
- Tap or click the Contacts tab, and then select the Lync user.
- In the conversation box in the main window, type a message, and then tap or click Send.
To make an audio call:
- Start Skype.
- Tap or click the Contacts tab, select the Lync user, and then tap or click Call. If your contact is not available and you want to call them on their mobile or landline number, you’ll need Skype Credit or a subscription.
- When you’re finished, tap or click the end call icon.