Service Manager 2010 SP1 Deployment Scenarios
Updated: December 1, 2010
Applies To: System Center Service Manager 2010 SP1
System Center Service Manager 2010 allows for many deployment scenarios. However, keep in mind that you cannot deploy a Service Manager management server and a data warehouse management server on the same computer. You will also specify the server hosting SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). Do not attempt to use the same SQL Server Reporting Services instance for both Operations Manager and Service Manager. This deployment guide describes the following three deployment scenarios: installing Service Manager on one computer, on two computers, and on four computers.
|The collation settings for Microsoft SQL Server must be the same for the computers that host the Service Manager database, the data warehouse databases, and the Reporting Services database.|
If you want to host the Service Manager management server and the Self-Service Portal on the same computer, you must deploy the Service Manager management server before you deploy the Self-Service Portal.
|On some computers, Service Manager Setup might fail if it cannot start the System Center Management Configuration Service in a timely fashion. An event might be written to the System Event log with an Event ID of 7009 and the Source listed as Service Control Manager. For more information about this potential issue, see the topic "Service Manager 2010 SP1 Setup Might Fail During Upgrade Due to Configuration Service Startup Timing Out" in the System Center Service Manager 2010 Release Notes (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=200010)|
In This Section
- Installing Service Manager on a Single Computer (Minimum Configuration)
- Describes how to install Service Manager on a single computer. This scenario requires you to use a virtual machine for the data warehouse management server. This scenario is useful for evaluation purposes.
- Installing Service Manager on Two Computers
- Describes how to install Service Manager on two computers. This scenario is useful for testing Service Manager in a lab environment.
- Installing Service Manager on Four Computers
- Describes how to install Service Manager on four computers. This scenario is useful in a production environment and maximizes performance and scalability.
- Manual Steps to Configure the Remote SQL Server Reporting Services
- Describes how to manually configure SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) in situations where SSRS is not on the same server as the data warehouse management server.
Did you find this information helpful? Please send your suggestions and comments about System Center Service Manager documentation to email@example.com.