Remote Desktop Licensing Role Service Migration

Updated: July 19, 2010

Applies To: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2

This guide describes how to migrate Remote Desktop Services client access licenses (RDS CALs) and Terminal Services client access licenses (TS CALs) to a Remote Desktop license server running Windows Server 2008 R2 by using the RD Licensing CAL Migration Wizard.

In Windows Server 2008 R2, the Terminal Services Licensing (TS Licensing) role service is now called the Remote Desktop Licensing (RD Licensing) role service. Also, TS CALs are now called RDS CALs. In this migration guide, these new terms are used, even when referring to previous versions of Windows Server, unless there is a difference that makes it necessary to mention TS CALs separately. Security group names have not changed in Windows Server 2008 R2.

Community Additions