Internet Explorer 9 Security Baseline
Published: April 6, 2010 | Updated: January 28, 2013
The Windows Internet Explorer 9 Security Baseline is now available. This product baseline, used in combination with the Microsoft Security Compliance Manager (SCM) tool, enables you to define custom baselines.
Download This Solution Accelerator
The Internet Explorer 9 Security Baseline is integrated with SCM. To access the complete Internet Explorer 9 Security Baseline package, which includes the Internet Explorer 9 Security Guide, download SCM.
Launch the download of the Security Compliance Manager.
View the Security Compliance Manager in its entirety on Microsoft TechNet.
About This Solution Accelerator
The Internet Explorer 9 Security Baseline is available with the SCM tool, which is designed to provide you with an end-to-end solution to help you plan, deploy, and monitor the security baselines of computers running Internet Explorer 9 in your environment. This security baseline package, which includes the Internet Explorer 9 Security Guide, is available in SCM.
What is a security baseline?
A security baseline is a collection of configurations items for a Microsoft product that provides prescribed values to solve a specific use case or scenario. Windows Internet Explorer security baselines provide guidance and supporting technical data required to implement an effective and efficient security infrastructure, enabling you to:
- Understand threats.
- Implement countermeasures.
- Learn about product-specific recommendations.
SCM gives you the ability to customize a security baseline to meet the unique requirements of your organization. The tool exports security baselines in multiple formats to help you apply the configuration and confirm the compliance level of the computers running Internet Explorer in your organization.
Internet Explorer security baselines include the following elements:
- A detailed view of security vulnerabilities specific to Internet Explorer, and the potential impact of configuring significant settings in these areas, to help you better understand how to effectively mitigate threats to your environment.
- Recommended countermeasures to address such vulnerabilities, as well as the technical data required to implement and assess the state of each countermeasure that you implement.
- A product-specific security guide that provides detailed instructions and recommendations to help strengthen the security of the computers running Internet Explorer in your organization.
About Security Compliance Manager
We’ve taken our extensive security guidance and documentation—including the previously stand-alone product-specific security guides—and incorporated it into SCM, enabling you to access and automate all of your organization’s security baselines in one centralized location.
Take advantage of the experience of Microsoft security professionals, and reduce the time and money required to harden your environment. This end-to-end Solution Accelerator will help you plan, deploy, operate, and manage your security baselines for Windows client and server operating systems, and Microsoft applications.
Access the complete database of Microsoft recommended security settings, customize your baselines, and then choose from multiple formats—including XLS, Group Policy Objects (GPOs), Desired Configuration Management (DCM) configuration packs, or Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP)—to export the baselines to your environment to automate the security baseline deployment and compliance verification process. Use SCM to achieve a secure, reliable, and centralized IT environment that will help you better balance your organization’s needs for security and functionality.
Included in the Download
The Microsoft Security Compliance Manager download includes the following components:
- Security_Compliance_Manager_Setup.exe – The Microsoft Security Compliance Manager allows you to view, update, and export security baselines.
- LocalGPO.msi – This tool is designed to manage local Group Policy on a computer by applying a security baseline and exporting the local Group Policy.
Once you download and install the Security Compliance Manager tool, you can view all available Microsoft product security baselines. For more information, refer to the getting started guidance in the SCM TechNet Wiki.
The .cab file for the Internet Explorer 9 security baseline includes the following components:
- Internet Explorer 9 Computer Baseline
- Internet Explorer 9 User Baseline
- Internet Explorer 9 Security Guide.docx
The following resources provide additional information about security topics and in-depth discussion of the concepts and security prescriptions in this guide:
- Security Solution Accelerators
- Microsoft Security Compliance Manager Overview
- Microsoft Security Compliance Manager Release Notes
- Microsoft Security Compliance Manager Interview with Chase Carpenter at Microsoft Management Summit 2011
- Solution Accelerators Team presents Microsoft Security Compliance Manager
- System Center Configuration Manager Extensions for SCAP
Community and Feedback
- Want to know what’s coming up next? Check out our Security Guidance Blog.
- E-mail the Solution Accelerators security team with your feedback: SecWish@microsoft.com.
- If you have used a Solution Accelerator in your organization, please share your experience with us by completing this short survey.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT professionals plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management
Download This Accelerator
Launch the download of the Security Compliance Manager.