Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-031 - Critical
Patch Available for "Virtual Machine Sandbox" Vulnerability
Updated: July 01, 2009
Version Availability Updated: July 1, 2009
Revised: July 1, 2009
Originally Posted: August 25, 1999
Microsoft has released a new version of the Microsoft® virtual machine (Microsoft VM) that eliminates a security vulnerability that could allow a Java applet to take unauthorized actions on the computer of a web site visitor.
Frequently asked questions regarding this vulnerability can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq99-031.mspx
The Microsoft VM is a virtual machine for the Win32® operating environment. It runs atop Microsoft Windows® 95, 98 or Windows NT®. It ships as part of each operating system, and also as part of Microsoft Internet Explorer. The version of the Microsoft VM that ships with Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and Internet Explorer 5.0 contains a security vulnerability that could allow a Java applet to operate outside the bounds set by the sandbox and take any desired action on the user's computer. If such an applet were hosted on a web site, it could act against the computer of any user who visited the site.
Affected Software Versions
- Microsoft VM, all builds in the 2000 series (before, but not including, build 2439) and 3000 series (before, but not including, build 3186)
Note The affected versions shipped primarily as part of Internet Explorer 4.0 and 5. The FAQ provides instructions for determining the specific build on your machine.
Vulnerability Identifier: CVE-1999-0766
New Version Availability
Please see the following references for more information related to this issue.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-031: Frequently Asked Questions, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq99-031.mspx.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article 240346, Malicious Java Applet may be able to Read, Write, or Delete Files on the Computer of a Web Site Visit, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240346&sd=tech.
Note It may take 24 hours from the original posting of this bulletin for the KB article to be visible.
- Microsoft Security web site, http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/default.mspx.
Obtaining Support on this Issue
The new version is fully supported. Information on contacting Microsoft Technical Support is available at http://support.microsoft.com/contactussupport/?ws=support.
Microsoft acknowledges Xerox PARC for bringing this issue to our attention.
- August 25, 1999: Bulletin Created.
- September 08, 1999: Revised to provide additional version detail.
- V2.0 (March 21, 2003): Introduced versioning and updated download information.
- V3.0 (July 1, 2009): Removed download information because Microsoft Java Virtual Machine is no longer available for distribution from Microsoft. For more information, see New Version Availability.
THE INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE MICROSOFT KNOWLEDGE BASE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF MICROSOFT CORPORATION OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.
Built at 2014-04-18T13:49:36Z-07:00