Active Directory administration tools are provided as snap-ins for the Microsoft Management Console (MMC). You use the following key tools to manage Active Directory:
- Active Directory Administrative Center For performing task-orientated management tasks.
- Active Directory Domains And Trusts For working with domains, domain trees, and domain forests.
- Active Directory Module For Windows PowerShell For managing Active Directory when you are working with Windows PowerShell.
- Active Directory Sites And Services For managing sites and subnets.
- Active Directory Users And Computers For managing users, groups, computers, and organizational units.
- Group Policy Management For managing the way Group Policy is used in the organization. Provides access to Resultant Set of Policy (RSoP) for modeling and logging.
You can access the Active Directory administration tools through the Administrative Tools menu or add them to any updateable MMC. If you’re using another computer with access to a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain, the tools won’t be available until you install them. One technique for installing these tools is to use the Add Features Wizard.