Microsoft Security Advisory (912840)
Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution.
Published: | Updated:
Microsoft has completed the investigation into a public report of a vulnerability. We have issued a security bulletin to address this issue. For more information about this issue, including download links for an available security update, please review the security bulletin.
- You can provide feedback by completing the form by visiting the following Web site.
- Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from Microsoft Product Support Services. For more information about available support options, see the Microsoft Help and Support Web site.
- International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. For more information about how to contact Microsoft for international support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
- The Microsoft TechNet Security Web site provides additional information about security in Microsoft products.
The information provided in this advisory is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if Microsoft Corporation or its suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.
- December 28, 2005: Advisory published
- December 29, 2005: Advisory updated. FAQ section updated.
- December 30, 2005: Advisory updated. FAQ section updated.
- January 3, 2006: Information has been added to the beginning of the advisory as well as the FAQ section to provide updated information about the state of the investigation. Information has also been added to the FAQ section regarding reports of a third party security update for this issue.
- January 3, 2006: Clarifying information added to the Mitigating factors section at the beginning of the advisory. FAQ added to address pre-released Microsoft security update.
- January 5, 2006: FAQ added with information on Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium. FAQ concerning embedded images in Office documents updated. Workaround updated with information about re-registering the Windows Fax and Image Viewer (Shimgvw.dll).
- January 5, 2006: Advisory updated to reference released security bulletin.