The Windows Imaging Component (WIC) is an extensible platform that provides low-level API for digital images.
WIC supports the standard web image formats, high dynamic range images, and raw camera data.
WIC also supports additional features such as:
- Built-in support for standard metadata formats
- Extensible framework for image codecs, pixel formats, and metadata formats.
- Wide range of pixel format support.
- High-color support; including 30-bit extended range, 30-bit high precision, and 48-bit high precision and wide gamut pixel formats.
- Progressive image decoding.
WIC is designed to meet the needs of the following classes of developers:
- Developers who read and write image data in an application.
- Developers who read and write image metadata in an application.
- Developers who want run-time codec discovery for newly designed or implemented image codecs.
- Developers designing or implementing new image codecs and metadata formats.
In this section