Deploy VMM for high availability
rayne-wiselman|Last Updated: 11/22/2016
Applies To: System Center 2016 Technical - Virtual Machine Manager
For resilience and scalability you can deploy System Center 2016 - Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) in high availability mode.
Before you start
You'll need to prepare for a high availability deployment
- You can only set up one VMM deployment on a failover cluster. You can install VMM management nodes on up to 16 nodes but only one node can be active at any one time.
- Requirement for computers running as VMM management nodes:
- All the computers that will act as VMM servers must be running Windows Server 2012 R2 or later.
- You'll need to install Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 on each computer. Install from setup or the download center. Select Deployment Tools and Windows Preinstallation Environment when you install.
- If you plan to deploy VMM services that use SQL Server data-tier applications, install the related command-line utilities on your VMM management server. The command line utility is available in the SQL Server 2012 feature pack.
- Each computer must be joined to a domain, and computer name shouldn't exceed 15 characters.
- Don't install on a Hyper-V host. You can install VMM on a VM.