Convert a VMware VM to Hyper-V in the VMM fabric
Applies To: System Center 2016 - Virtual Machine Manager
This article describes how to convert VMware VMs in the System Center 2016 - Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) fabric to Hyper-V.
There are currently a couple of methods for converting VMWare VMs to Hyper-V:
- Convert Virtual Machine Wizard: In the VMM console you can use this wizard. This method has a number of limitations:
- Supported for vSphere 4.1 onwards.
- You can't convert VMware workstations
- You can't convert VMs with virtual hard disks connected to an IDE bus
- Online conversions aren't supported. You need to power off the VMware VMs.
- Anti-virus apps must be supported.
- VMware tools must be uninstalled from the guest operating system of the VM.
- Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter: This standalone tool converts VMware VMs to Hyper-V hosts or Azure VMs. It also converts physical machines and disks to Hyper-V hosts. IMPORTANT: This tool is in the process of retirement. It won't be available after June 3, 2017. Learn more
- Azure Site Recovery currently doesn't have to ability for a direct VMware to Hyper-V conversion. Read more about up-voting this solution.
Convert using the wizard
- Click VMs and Services > Home > Create > Create Virtual Machines > Convert Virtual Machine.
- In Convert Virtual Machine Wizard > Select Source click Browse and inSSelect Virtual Machine Source select the VMware VMs you want to convert.
- In Specify Virtual Machine Identity modify the machine name and description as required.
- In Virtual Machine Configuration specify the number of processor and memory settings.
- In Select Host select a Hyper-V host for placement. In Select Path configure the storage location on the host for the VM files. The default VM paths are listed.
- In Select Networks select the logical network, virtual network, and the VLAN as applicable. The list matches whatever is configured on the physical adapters of the host.
- In Add Properties configure settings. In Summary review the settings and select Start the virtual machine after deploying it if required. Then click Create to start the conversion. Verify the VM was converted in VMs and Services > Home > Show > VMs.