Server 2008 - AD Backup and Restore PM interview
About This Video
I met up with Stephanie Cheung, the program manager for active directory backup and recovery and we discuss:
restartable AD is and when it is appropriate to use it
- Good for usage when you want to recover deleted objects without rebooting
- Bad for when you need to do a "bare metal" restore or have database corruption
- Thoughts around when to do a "Dcpromo /forceremoval" versus restoring from backup. This includes discussion of restoring using
install from media (IFM) and IFM for an RODC.
- What the
database mounting tool (DMT - old name "snapshot" tool) does and some ideas on what we're going to do to make recovery of deleted objects easier using DMT.
- A best practice around preventing deletion of objects in AD (including the new "
Protect object from accidental deletion" checkbox for objects).
- Future thoughts for AD backup and restore, such as reducing
forest recovery time
- General disaster recovery tips
Published Date: April 11, 2008