Windows Phone 8.1 Enterprise Preview
The Windows Phone 8.1 Enterprise Preview enables you to test the enterprise-grade capabilities delivered by Windows Phone 8.1 in your environment. Windows Phone 8.1 brings the security and manageability you expect from Windows to the smartphone with a set of new, unique features designed with business customers in mind, including:
- Mobile device management
- Windows application platform convergence
- S/MIME for secure, encrypted email
- Assigned Access
- Enhanced app management
- Certificate management
- Enterprise-grade VPN and Wi-Fi capabilities
Step 1: Explore Windows Phone 8.1 features for IT professionals
Before testing Windows Phone 8.1 in your organization, we recommend that you review the following content:
Step 2: Update your phone to Windows Phone 8.1
Access to Windows Phone 8.1, and future prerelease Windows Phone operating system updates, is facilitated by the
Windows Phone Preview for Developers and the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app. Before you can download the app, you first need to be a registered developer or be running a "developer unlocked" phone:
Register as a developer
- or -
"Developer unlock" your phone
Download the developer tools to register and "developer unlock" your phone.
There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:
- After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
- A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available.
- You cannot revert or return to a prior operating system release version after you have updated your phone to a preview update. We will move you forward to a "released state," but we cannot take you back to a prior "released state."
You should also take a moment to review the
terms and conditions for the Windows Phone Preview for Developers.
Download the app and get started
Once you meet the prerequisites above, click the button below to download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app.
Step 3: Test Windows Phone 8.1 features for your organization
After you have updated your phone to Windows Phone 8.1, we suggest that you explore the enterprise-grade features, in particular:
- S/MIME support. Windows Phone 8.1, brings an industry standard implementation of S/MIME. Managed through your mobile device management (MDM) system or Exchange Server, employees can sign and encrypt email directly from their Outlook client on the phone to fit their needs. You can also force S/MIME policies to comply with your company’s policy, all without installing additional software to enable it.
For guidance on how to configure and test S/MIME in your organization, see
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) capabilities. Windows Phone includes app-specific VPN capabilities, supporting IPsec and SSL VPN gateways. Configurable by the MDM system, the VPN tunnel will automatically be initiated by the app or location that is accessed and will automatically reconnect when the user needs it. VPN functionality in Windows Phone 8.1 is supported by many major VPN vendors, such as Checkpoint, Del/SonicWALL, F5, and Juniper, making it easier for customers to add Windows Phone 8.1 devices to their corporate networks.
For guidance on how to configure and test VPN in your organization see
Try it out: Windows Phone 8.1 VPN.
- Try it out now