Windows 7 Deployment Learning Portal Sweepstakes
This offer has now concluded. These terms and conditions are posted for informational purposes only.
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer's policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer's policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer's policies.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES: These are the official rules that govern how the Windows 7 Deployment Learning Portal Sweepstakes will operate ("Drawing" or "Sweepstakes" may be used interchangeably within this document). In these rules, "we," "our," and "us" refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Sweepstakes. "You" refers to an eligible Sweepstakes entrant.
- SWEEPSTAKES DESCRIPTION:
This promotion consists of a random drawing and is open only to select Information Technology professionals who have used the Microsoft Windows 7 Deployment Learning Portal (the "DLP") as part of their professional development.
Sweepstakes: The object of the Sweepstakes is to promote the use of the DLP by IT professionals and thereby to assist them in strengthening their technical knowledge related to the deployment of Windows 7.
- WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Sweepstakes starts at 8:30 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on April 3, 2011 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on June 18, 2011 ("Entry Period").
- CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Sweepstakes if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
This Sweepstakes is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
- You are a legal resident of the 50 United States and District of Columbia or Canada (excluding Quebec); and
- You are 18 years of age or older; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Sweepstakes; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Sweepstakes.
- HOW DO I ENTER?
Eligible participants in the United States can enter to win through the DLP at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ff470986.aspx. Eligible participants in Canada (excluding Quebec) can enter to win through the DLP at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/ff470986.aspx, or by obtaining a contest entry form by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:
and by completing and returning the entry form. Completed entry forms must be received by 11:59 p.m. PT June 21, 2011. Incomplete or late entries will not be accepted. Microsoft takes no responsibility for lost, late, destroyed or misdirected entries.
11010 Northrup Way
Bellevue, Washington 98006 Attention: Greta Watson
Once you have registered for the DLP and completed any one of the available eleven online assessments, you will be invited to opt in for the sweepstakes. You will receive one (1) entry per course you complete.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
- WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES:
Winner selection will take place in two phases as described below.
PLEASE NOTE: If the winner is from Canada, the selected participant will be required to correctly answer, unaided and without mechanical or electronic assistance, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing technical question, to be administered by telephone at a mutually convenient time.
- Phase 1: Each month during the Sweepstakes, we will draw, at random, twenty-five winners from the list of participants who enter and complete at least one online assessment. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Sweepstakes Prizes described below.
- Phase 2: At the end of the Sweepstakes, we will draw from the pool of entrants who have completed all eleven assessments, one winner of the Grand Prize.
Seventy-five copies of: Zero Day, a book by Mark Russinovich. Twenty-five prize winners will be drawn at random from eligible entries each month for the duration of the Sweepstakes. (Approx. prize value: $25 USD) Limit one (1) book per person overall.
One Grand Prize: A trip for one winner to Redmond, Washington. The travel expenses will be limited to $500 in round-trip airfare from any point in Canada or the United States to Seattle-Tacoma airport; one night's lodging at a local hotel of our choice at a cost not to exceed $250; $100 per diem for two days to be applied to ground transportation, meals, and incidental expenses; and dinner with Mark Russinovich at a location of our choice and at a cost not to exceed $200. (Approx. prize value: $1,050 USD)
The Grand Prize winner will be drawn at random from the pool of participants who complete all eleven assessments on the DLP.
The Approximate Retail Value of electronic prizes is subject to price fluctuations in the consumer marketplace based on, among other things, any gap in time between the date the ARV is estimated for purposes of these Official Rules and the date the prize is awarded or redeemed. We will determine the value of the prize to be the fair market value at the time of prize award.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $2,975 USD
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following each drawing. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter the Sweepstakes. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification.
If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf.
If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Sweepstakes:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner-up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Sweepstakes, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer's warranty and/or terms and conditions.
- WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Sweepstakes you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Sweepstakes, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft's decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Sweepstakes; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Sweepstakes, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
- WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Sweepstakes will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Sweepstakes.
- WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE SWEEPSTAKES CAN'T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Sweepstakes, we reserve the right to cancel, change, or suspend this Sweepstakes. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Sweepstakes, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change, or suspend the Sweepstakes.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Sweepstakes by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Sweepstakes, so please play fairly.
- HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
A complete list of winners who received a prize worth $20 or more is available on request at
firstname.lastname@example.org. This list will remain available one month after June 18, 2011.
- WHO IS SPONSORING THIS SWEEPSTAKES?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052