Updated September 27, 2010
Windows Server 2008 is the most advanced Windows Server operating system yet, designed to power the next-generation of networks, applications, and Web services. With Windows Server 2008, you can develop, deliver, and manage rich user experiences and applications, provide a highly secure network infrastructure, and increase technological efficiency and value within your organization.
- Minimum: 1 GHz (x86 processor) or 1.4 GHz (x64 processor)
- Recommended: 2 GHz or faster
Note: An Intel Itanium 2 processor is required for Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems
- Minimum: 512 MB RAM
- Recommended: 2 GB RAM or greater
- Optimal: 2 GB RAM (Full installation) or 1 GB RAM (Server Core installation) or more
- Maximum (32-bit systems): 4 GB (Standard) or 64 GB (Enterprise and Datacenter)
- Maximum (64-bit systems): 32 GB (Standard) or 1 TB (Enterprise and Datacenter), or 2 TB (Itanium-Based Systems)
Available Disk Space:
- Minimum: 10 GB
- Recommended: 40 GB or greater
Note: Computers with more than 16GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files
- Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution monitor
Windows Server 2008 Product Overview
A Solid Foundation for Your Business
- Windows Server 2008 provides a solid foundation for all of your server workload and application requirements while also being easy to deploy and manage.
- The all new Server Manager provides a unified management console that simplifies and streamlines server setup, configuration, and ongoing management.
- Windows Server Hyper-V allows you to make the best use of your server hardware investments by consolidating multiple server roles as separate virtual machines running on a single physical machine.
- Applications can also be efficiently virtualized using Windows Server 2008 centralized application access technologies.
Built for the Web
- Windows Server 2008 comes with Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS 7.0), a Web server and security-enhanced, easy-to-manage platform for developing and reliably hosting Web applications and services.
Windows Server 2008 Standard is the most robust Windows Server operating system to date. With built-in, enhanced Web and virtualization capabilities, it is designed to increase the reliability and flexibility of your server infrastructure while helping save time and reduce costs.
- Internet Information Services 7.0
- Network Access Protection
- Active Directory Rights Management Services (RMS)
- Easy to deploy and manage: Provides a solid foundation for all of your server workload and application requirements.
- Virtualization: Hyper-V, the next-generation hypervisor-based server virtualization technology, allows you to consolidate servers and use hardware more efficiently.
- Improved Web administration: and diagnostics, development, and application tools with Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS 7.0), a major upgrade from IIS 6.0.
- Operating system is hardened: integrates several identity and access technologies, and includes multiple security innovations to more easily deploy a policy-driven network that helps protect your server infrastructure, your data, and your business.
Additional Product Information
Find out how companies of all sizes are using the Windows Server 2008 family to power their business.
How to Buy
Determine the best licensing model based on your needs, and then select from the various options to purchase your Windows Server 2008 licenses.
Microsoft Partners include independent software vendors, software resellers, system integrators and developers that have proven expertise working with Microsoft products and technologies.